Travel news – May 10th 2012 to May 12th 2012:
- Russian crash shows risks of informal demo flights – USATODAY.com –
The crash has put a spotlight on the notoriously informal atmosphere aboard new aircraft during manufacturer demonstrations.
- Google Map shows volume of tourists taking pictures in every location around the world | Tnooz –
– Kevin MayThe wonderful thing about so-called open APIs is often the level of detail the data contain – effectively allowing developers to create all sorts of fascinating mashups.
Here is a particularly good example – using data from photo hosting and sharing service Panoramio, Estonian developer shop Bluemoon has plotted the location on a Google Map of every single image on the site.
The result, as Bluemoon says slightly , is the globe by “level of touristiness”, a slightly awkward word but most people … show all text
- That’s Ridiculous! Are Hotel "Energy" Fees About to Make a Comeback? – posted this over on Frommer's : Hidden fees can be a nasty surprise for vacationing travelers, especially if the fees are mandatory and cover basic services such as utilities.
- Receive Half Off Train Tickets in Canada – Smarter Travel has posted some info about spectacular scenery: See Canada's spectacular scenery by rail this summer and enjoy discounted ticket prices. VIA Rail Canada is offering 50 percent off regular high-season fares on routes throughout the country.
Head over to www.smartertravel.com to read the whole article.
- Why You Don’t Want to Have an Accident When Driving a Rental Car in Mexico – Sean O'Neill recently posted this on This Just In… Newsweek's Travel Blog:
- Wreckage of Russian ‘SuperJet’ found in Indonesia – USATODAY.com –
A Russian Sukhoi SuperJet with with 46 people onboard has disappeared from radar, The Associated Press reports.
- Airfare Deals: American Airlines, Alaska, SAS – posted this over on Frommer's : Book now for an American Airlines airfare sale to Colorado, an Alaska Airlines sale to British Columbia, and a SAS sale to Scandinavia.