Travel news – August 16th 2012 to August 20th 2012:
- Ask the Family Travel Expert: Disney World with Three Generations – posted this over on Frommer's : Learn how to manage time, meals, and expectations on a multigenerational trip to Disney World.
- Open Phones: Ask Rick; Francis Tapon Explores Eastern Europe – This week on the Travel with Rick Steves Podcast:
Francis Tapon describes his three-year excursion into every country in the eastern half of Europe. He shares how the Balkans and the former Soviet states are the next travel frontier, where tourists don't outnumber the locals. Also, listeners check in with Rick for help in finalizing their vacation plans.
- That’s Ridiculous! The Unintended Consequences of Flying with Unaccompanied Minors – posted this over on Frommer's : If airlines charge extra for unaccompanied minors, shouldn't airline employees and flight attendants actually take care of the kids?
- Air France: Diverted fliers asked for fuel money as ‘precaution’ – USATODAY.com –
Passengers on an Air France flight got an unexpected stopover in war-torn Syria after their plane had to make an emergency landing in Damascus. …
- What’s The Worst Travel Advice You’ve Ever Received? – Kaeli Conforti recently posted this on This Just In… Newsweek's Travel Blog:
We recently asked our readers on our Facebook and Twitter pages to tell us about the worst piece of travel advice they've ever received—and the responses were overwhelming! Most ranged from misguided generalizations (never eat street food, you'll get sick!) to questionable sightseeing tips (can you really go to Paris and NOT see the Eiffel Tower?). Read on for the worst advice our readers have gotten, including our picks for the worst advice…ever!
- Raises owed to some United retirees, feds say – USATODAY.com –
A long-running dispute over pensions at United Airlines will end with small raises for some retirees.
- Travel Troubleshooter: Help! Travelzoo Canceled All of My Vouchers – posted this over on Frommer's : A traveler's attempt to reinstate her deal vouchers doesn't get anywhere by phone. What are your options if the company insists on phone calls instead of a paper trail?