Bringing you what’s new in travel for November 23rd 2010
- GateGuru Is Like Yelp for the Your Airport Terminal [Video] – Lifehacker's Adam Pash just posted this article:
iOS: The only thing worse than your impending TSA groping is the long, boring layover in an unfamiliar terminal. GateGuru is like Yelp for airports, helping you find decent food and things to do when you're stuck in the terminal. More »
Read the rest at Lifehacker
- Call for unique travel tips! – Andrea Minarcek recently posted this on This Just In… Newsweek's Travel Blog:
What is your best money-saving, time-crunching, fun-optimizing vacation strategy?
If there's one thing that sets Budget Travel apart from its peers, it's you—our readers have provided some of the most thoughtful, savvy travel tips this magazine has published in its 12-year span.
We celebrate the best of these in the Reader Tips section at the front of each issue and have included some of our favorites in Budget Travel's two most recent books. The Smart Family's Passport came out in 2010, while The Smart Traveler's Passport hit shelves in 2007.
- Southwest: Law enforcement officer left loaded gun magazine on plane – CNN.com –
A loaded magazine was found on board a Southwest Airlines flight from Burbank, California, to Phoenix, Arizona, on Tuesday, a member of a CNN crew aboard the plane said.
- Shopping meccas around the world – HeidiS recently posted this over on the Bing Travel Blog:
If you’re like me, traveling to a new place creates an itch to buy a little something – a souvenir, a local treat or specialty – to mark the trip. Sometimes it’s a new coat, like the leather jacket I bought at the San Lorenzo market in Florence. Other times it’s more personal, like the piece of lace I purchased from a woman in Cyprus who was crocheting in the cool shade of a stone archway. Both items remind me of a specific time and place and bring back memories of some incredible trips.
Then there are those times when the shopping is so all-encompassing that it becomes the goal of the journey. Think New York’s Fifth Avenue or Chicago’s Magnificent Mile: We could buy plane tickets to travel there for a weekend – or a week! – and shop until those credit cards are smoking from overuse. Bing Travel’s newest slideshow, Shopping Meccas Around the World, gives us the opportunity to visit (albeit virtually), 14 of the world’s best destinations for shopping. If you’ve been to any of these cities and can give a first-hand report on a great find or out of the way shop, share it with the Bing Travel community by posting a comment below.
- Black Friday and Cyber Monday travel deals – Kate Appleton recently posted this on This Just In… Newsweek's Travel Blog:
- Readers’ Choice: What’s the best amusement park? – Budget Travel recently posted this on This Just In… Newsweek's Travel Blog:
We're giving you the floor. To gear up for our second annual Readers' Choice issue in November 2011 we're turning to the true experts—you! Over the next few months we'll be asking for your thoughts on a variety of travel topics ranging from your favorite cruise line to your ultimate dream destination. Once your nominations are in, we'll give you the chance to vote on the best of the best.